Dercums disease -DD (adiposis dolorosa)
What is Dercums?
DD is a disorder of subcutaneous adipose (fatty) tissue, also known as painful fat syndrome. It involves the excess deposit and expansion of fat cells. Lipomas are common and angiolipomas (very vascular lipomas) are found in 30% of people with Dercum’s Disease. DD is often misdiagnosed as ordinary obesity. • DD occurs in more women than men, at a 5:1 ratio, and in 40% of cases it is thought it is thought to be inherited (genetic). Age of onset is usually between 30 and 50 years of age. Currently, there are no imaging or diagnostic tests available to determine the presence of DD.
Types of Dercums
TYPE 1: Painful nodular fat around the joints.
TYPE 2: Painful nodular fat anywhere from head to toe (whole body). Often accompanied
by generalized obesity.
TYPE 3: Larger lipomas that may have a capsule and attached connective tissue; often
in the absence of obesity. Most men have Type 3
What are the symptoms of Dercums
- Severe fatigue that impairs a person’s daily activities of living and can be worsened by activities and exercise
- Memory difficulties finding words, forming thoughts; “Brain Fog”.
- Weight gain may occur at onset; difficult to lose with lifestyle changes
- Increased vasculature near lipomas; telangiectasias(small dilated blood vessel near the surface of the skin); cherry angiomas (round broken capillary on the skin); easy bruising; heavy or prolonged menstrual bleeding;
- Lymphatic involvement: Swellings in fat; may change in size and are nonpitting, (do not indent when pressed)
- Shortness of breath (dyspnea).
- Gastrointestinal: Gastroesophageal reflux disease
(heartburn); irritable bowel symptoms,
constipation and/or diarrhea, bloating, abdominal
pain, and feeling full.
- Joint and muscle pain and/or stiffness.
Rapid heartbeat; (tachycardia), palpitations (feeling your heart beat).
Treatment options Dercums disease
Manual lymph drainage
Nutrition, diet management
Exercise – movement
Complementary care, aromatherapy
Dercums Treatment Services Available
Initial Consultation & Evaluation 60 minutes – $199
You will receive the support and caring to effectively maintain your results.